Albert's vision to create an area in London dedicated to the Arts
& Sciences has finally come to fruition. The Royal Albert Hall
of Arts and Sciences official opening ceremony took place on 29
March 1871. After a welcoming speech by the Prince of Wales, Queen
Victoria was too emotional to speak, so the Prince had to announce
that "The Queen declares this Hall is now open".
The building is Italian Renaissance in style, and was designed by
Messrs. Fowke & Scott. Its ornamentation of coloured brick and
terra-cotta is most effective, and the frieze, representing the
nations of the world, is well worthy of the famous artists who were
engaged upon it. Half of the cost of the building, or £100,000,
was defrayed by public subscription, and £50,000 was contributed
out of the profits of the Great Exhibition of 1851.